• Images of Women Newsletter, London
• Lesbian Teachers Newsletter, Nottingham
• Out of the Pumpkin Shell, Birmingham
• Scarlet Women, Tyne & Wear
• Women Craft
• Women Speaking, London
• Future Directions for the WLM in Leeds Conference, Leeds, March.
“…for all women in Leeds interested in the women’s movement. Previous to that the movement had become very fragmented and a lot of groups had folded […] It was hoped that it would revive Women’s activities […] The main thing that emerged from the conference was the need for a Women’s centre, and in July a house was acquired for this purpose.” (Leeds Big Flame 1976).
• Leeds groups:
Discussion group, Leeds Lesbians, Leeds GLF, Socialist Women’s Action Group, Sex Equality Group. Sex Discrimination Group:
“This was set up after the all Leeds conferences in March, to help women involved in cases of discrimination and to give publicity to these issues.” (Leeds Big Flame 1976).
• Leeds University Women’s Action Group
• Women’s Festival Feminist Literature Review Distribution Network, Leeds.
• Defend Juanita Greening campaign.
Juanita Greening was charged with murdering an abusive husband. After the campaign she is given a two year suspended sentence.
• Bradford campaigns against the National Front (NF).
The NF were then deciding whether to move their headquarters to Bradford. This move was not accomplished.
• Bradford holds an anti-Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC) rally as SPUC holds an anti-choice rally.
• Women’s Research and Resources Centre (WRRC) summer school, Bradford University
External sites cited on these pages:
~ Airs, Carole (1980) Dykes in the Granite City, Gay Left News, Vol 10, pp. 22-23
~ Anderson, Elizabeth Garret – bio, from Spartacus Educational
~ Brief history of Equal pay strikeat Trico-Folberth factory, from Trades Union Congress (TUC)
~ La Leche League
~ Lesbian Left Group
~ Northern Irish Women’s Aid
~ Scottish Women’s Aid
~ Welsh Women’s Aid
~ Women Under Apartheid
~ Women’s Aid Federatio [England] (WAF[E])
~ Women’s Media and Action Group
Additional external sites of interest:
~ Thompson, Denise (1990) Theory and Its Difficulties
* Athens or similar subscription may be required to view content in peer-reviewed journals
Feminist Archive North accepts no responsibility for content on external sites